providing a comprehensive basketball experience is the foundation we stand on
The energy of the GCBA is not only found on the basketball court, it is also in the ranks of the volunteers that make the program work week in and week out. Volunteers are coaches, assistant coaches, team managers, scorers, timers, conveners, directors and members of the Executive.
All volunteers that work directly with the players MUST complete a Police Check (link to Police Check Procedure)
Volunteers can also earn “volunteer credits” (link to volunteer registration procedure) that can be applied to their GCBA registration as a rebate. Must dedicate 30+ hours per season and only applies to the following volunteer positions:
- Asst Coach
- Team Manager (Wolverines)
- Tournament Director
- Special Event Volunteers with 30+ hours of service
NOW posted for all current GCBA volunteers for the 2019-20 season.
All credits have been applied to GCBA accounts for those volunteers who have completed the requirements.
- Completion of an online GCBA Volunteer application
- Vulnerable Sector Police check or....Declaration
If a volunteer believes they are due a credit and did not receive one...Please contact the VP Volunteers at: firstname.lastname@example.org to follow up.
|4 - LEVEL VOLUNTEER CREDIT SCALE|
|1. ASST-HL COACH - 25% DISCOUNT [$70 ]|
|2. COACH-HL/COMP-ASST/COMP-MGR - 50% [$135]|
|3. COMP-COACH/HL CONV/DIR/ADMIN - 100% [$270]|
4. EXEC & DIRECTORS - 100% [$270]
[Ex Officio Members of the Exec Committee]
What is the general volunteer process for the GCBA?
- In the PowerUp registration system ( the online system used by the GCBA for all registrations) once you have created a profile the system will ask if you want to volunteer. Simply click the volunteer button and proceed. If you already have a profile you simply go to your profile, click the profile tab and the volunteer application appears in the pull down menu. Select your name and the current year and proceed. (link to powerupsports.com )
- Every new season requires volunteers to apply for that particular year. Once the application is submitted the VP Volunteers reviews and approves the application.
- Volunteering for the positions of director, coach, assistant coach, and manager, for both House League and Competitive, requires the GCBA to have a current police check on file. link to (Police Vulnerable Sector Check)
How do I receive the volunteer credit?
- Directors, coaches, assistant coaches, managers, tournament director and special events co-ordinator with 30+ hours of service receive a credit towards their next years registration. These credits are applied only if both the Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) and volunteer application are completed and approved as per the policy of the GCBA. Credits are not carried over from year to year. Credits are applied to the accounts prior to the new season registration.
- You can check to see if there is a credit on your account by logging in to your profile. In the upper right hand corner you will see "credit available".
- Any questions pertaining to credits contact the VP Volunteer at email@example.com
- Volunteer credits for parent/ non-parent volunteers can be transferred to any player who is registered. If you wish a credit to be transferred please contact Volunteers by email.
Can students volunteer for their volunteer hours as required by the school board?
- Yes they can. We accept students 14 years or older.
- All students wishing to volunteer need to contact the VP Volunteer with their name and what position they are volunteering for.
- If a student is volunteering to coach a team and is accepted, one of his/her parents is required to complete the police check and volunteer application. The parent must be present at all practices and games.
- Once approved by the VP Volunteer, in conjunction with the executive of the programs involved, it is up to the student to track their hours and have them signed off by their supervisor. At the end of the season a copy of the volunteer hour sheet will be forwarded to the VP Volunteer for archiving.
- If the student is volunteering in a position that has a credit attached to it the student may opt to either have the volunteer hours put towards their volunteering requirement for school or to have the credit applied to their account if they are participating as a player. In accordance with the Ministry of Education a student may not receive monetary compensation, of any kind, with regards to fulfilling their volunteer requirement.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of sport and recreation. Without our committed volunteers, the GCBA would not run, deliver or manage as a sports club. People volunteer at all ages with many different skills and from every sector of society, so if you've got some time to spare and have an interest in basketball, we hope you'll get inspired to get involved with the GCBA.
Volunteers are coaches, assistant coaches, team managers, scorers, timers, convenors, directors, tournament directors and members of the Executive.
- WHAT DO GCBA VOLUNTEERS DO?
Listed below are the various volunteer positions within the GCBA. For detailed descriptions of each position please visit our website at www.gcba.ca
|Executive Members||Administrative Officers|
|Vice President House League||Equipment - open|
|Vice President Competitive||Chief Referee|
|Vice President Volunteer Operations||Technical Director|
|Fundraisers - open||Tournament Directors|
|Photos - open||Girls Directors (HL & Wolverine)|
|Clothing Sale - open||Boys Directors (HL & Wolverine)|
|Spring League - open||Convenors|
|Tykes - open||Coaches|
|Sponsorships -open||Assistant Coaches|
|Special Events - open||Team Managers|
|Selects - open||Timers and Scorers|
For further inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Police Vulnerable Sector Check/ Volunteer Application
The Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) provides the screening of individuals who intend on working or volunteering with vulnerable people. The GCBA requires all volunteers in the following positions: director, convenor, coach, assistant coach and manager (Wolverines) to submit a current PVSC which will be kept on file with the VP Volunteer for three (3 years) before renewal is required.
PLEASE NOTE: In accordance with The Criminal Records Act vulnerable sector checks must be conducted for individual positions. We therefore DO NOT accept PVSC'S from other organizations.
An Annual Offence Declaration will be signed by all volunteers not requiring a renewal of their PVSC.
How to obtain a PVSC/Declaration form?
- PVSC (Level 3) can now be obtained through an on-line process
https://olbc.ottawapolice.ca (link this)
provided by the Ottawa Police. In order to waive the fee you must receive a letter from the GCBA which can be obtained by emailing VP Volunteer.
Please note: Once you have received your PVSC (on line typically takes 2-3 days) you are required to email a copy in PDF form to VP Volunteer. This is to ensure the PVSC remains valid through transmission.
- Annual Offence Declaration - please email VP Volunteer
Yearly Volunteer Application
All volunteers, no matter what position they hold MUST COMPLETE A YEARLY VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FOUND ON THE GCBA DATABASE. The application is located under the PROFILE tab on your dashboard page where you registered. (link to gcba.powerupsports.com )
The GCBA endeavours to ensure the safety of our participants and volunteers and failure to provide the PVSC and/or volunteer application will result in suspension from the position until said documentation is provided.
For further inquiries please contact email@example.com